i like them THAT much.
sometimes, though, i get a little bored with eggs + toast.
i even get bored with my omelets.
and so, sometimes...
i take a little too much time getting creative whilst making myself breakfast.
here's one of my happy little awesome sandwich discoveries.
egg + mushroom open-faced breakfast sandwich
what you will need:
- mushrooms (i used organic crimini mushrooms)
- handful of fresh sage (other fresh herbs like basil, thyme or parsley will do. dried herbs, though, will not do)
- couple cloves garlic, minced
- onion, chopped
- 1 large slice bread, or 2 small slices bread
- 2 eggs (only one is pictured, but trust me, you want 2)
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- mince garlic, chop onions, chop herbs
- clean your mushrooms with a mushroom brush, or if you don't have one (i don't. i need to get one), use a slightly damp cloth to clean mushrooms. DO NOT soak mushrooms in water.
- chop mushrooms. i removed the stems, but i'm just weird that way. i don't care if you use the stems or not.
- heat skillet on medium-low heat. throw in some oil + butter. saute your onions + garlic for a few minutes.
- turn up the heat + throw in them mushrooms. saute for a while (10-20 minutes depending how soft & caramelisy you like your mushrooms), adding 1/2 your fresh herbs halfway through.
- when mushrooms look like they are about 5 minutes from done, heat up another frying pan for your eggs. start toasting your bread.
- fry eggs to your liking. while they are frying, butter your toast + spread with mayo if so desired. top with mushrooms, eggs, + a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
- get out your steak knife + a fork, and start devouring, along with a nice cup of fresh coffee.