i had a desire to make chocolate chip cookies yesterday. but if i made them just for me, they would end up sitting on the counter for days & i'd eventually throw them out. i seem to have a weird thing about not liking too much of the same thing. or leftovers. so i made my cookies 'andrea friendly,' which is wheat free, dairy free, egg free, yeast free... basically they are vegan. but they are yummy!
i used the base recipe of Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies from RecipeZaar, but i didn't use wheat & i cut the amount of sugar in half.
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey or molasses)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon flax seed
- 1/2 cup rice milk (or soy milk)
- 2 cups flour (chickpea flour, rice flour, 1/2 teaspoon guar gum)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet non-dairy chocolate chips/chunks
- preheat oven: 350 F
- grind flax seeds in a blender until powdered; add the milk and blend for about 30 seconds more and set aside.
- in a large bowl, sift together dry stuff: cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt.
- cream the sugar and oil in a separate large bowl.
- add the flax/milk mixture to wet stuff and mix well.
- stir in the vanilla to wet mixture.
- slowly mix in the dry ingredients.
- mix in the chocolate chips.
- roll or spoon out dough into 1" balls and flatten
- place on a cookie sheet about 1" apart and bake for 10 minutes. (original recipe said ungreased sheet, but i think i would grease my cookie sheet next time)